Getting the right care 

The NHS is always here to help you – but people are being asked to use services wisely to make sure you can get the most appropriate support and help us to help you.

We want to make sure you get seen in the right place, at the right time by the right healthcare professional. There are many different services to choose from. This page will help you understand which service is best for your needs and for much more information about keeping well please visit our StayWell website.

NHS App and your NHS account

Download the NHS App, or open the NHS website in a web browser, to set up and log in to your NHS account. Owned and run by the NHS, your NHS account is a simple and secure way to access a range of NHS services online.

Self care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries. A range of common illnesses and injuries can be treated at home simply by combining a well-stocked medicine cabinet with plenty of rest. For information to help you self-care, including healthy lifestyle information, a health A-Z of conditions and treatments, or to find your nearest pharmacy for over the counter medicines, visit

Pharmacies provide advice about minor illnesses and conditions and advice on how to manage your medicines.

NHS 111 is available if you need clinical advice but are not in a life-threatening emergency contact NHS 111 online or call free. Fully trained advisers are available 24 hours a day, every day. They will ask questions to assess your symptoms and provide healthcare advice or direct you to the right local service, or call an ambulance if necessary.

GP Surgeries are there to support you with a range of new and ongoing health concerns. You will usually have to make an appointment and they are working under enormous pressure at the moment, so you may find that you get the right help sooner by using the options described above. If your GP practice is closed and you cannot wait until they re-open please use NHS 111.

Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) & Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) should be contacted if you need prompt advice or treatment for minor injuries, a Minor Injuries Unit (MIU) or First Aid Unit (FAU) could help you. You can get treatment at an MIU for deep cuts, eye injuries, broken bones, severe sprains, minor head injuries, minor burns or scalds, minor sports injuries.

Emergency Departments (A&E) and 999 are for life threatening emergencies. If you come to an emergency department (A&E) for other conditions you may face a very long wait as priority is given to patients with the most urgent clinical need.